Outliers: The Story of Success

Quick Thoughts:
  1. I've recently read Malcolm Gladwell other popular books:  The Tipping Point and Blink.  If I had to recommend one, it would be this one.  This book is well researched, pointed, and convincing.  Each anecdote is interesting, memorable, and useful in illustrating his overall points.  This isn't to say the other book are bad, I enjoyed them too!  I just think that author is even more convincing here.  Moreover, I think he provides a really useful to way to think about success and how it happens.
  2. A great device that Malcolm uses is telling a success story using a classical explanation; basically that talent, intelligence, and hard work pay off.  Then he tears each story apart.  We end up understanding that talent, intelligence, and hard work are important; but that practice and arbitrary advantage have a critical role in any success story.
  3. This is a fun, useful book.  And it's a quick read (For me, this is very strong point).  If I had a list of 'highest' recommendations, Outliers would be on it.
Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment